Hybrid Platform has several ways of targeting based on environmental data — Hybrid Environ. These include temperature, precipitation, wind speed, cloudiness, atmospheric pressure, air pollution level, pollen and allergens concentration in the air, and geolocation.
In this article, we will review well-familiar weather targeting and discuss how to put it into practice, especially during the change of seasons.
Weather targeting allows you to display your ads based on weather conditions. The data is provided via an API by our partner OpenWeatherMap and is updated every five minutes. So, you can adjust and optimize your campaign or creative content in real-time.
The campaign consists of three stages:
Weather targeting options
You can use the following as targeting options:
- type of precipitation (no precipitation, rain in places, hail, heavy rain/downpour, snow);
- cloudiness (clear, slightly cloudy, cloudy with clearings, thunderstorm, cloudy);
- air temperature (above / below zero, a specific range, etc.);
- atmospheric pressure (normal, high, low).
How does it work?
Ad campaigns can be paused or launched in real-time, depending on the selected triggers.
Also, the creative content can change:
This kind of message is native, personalized, informs a user about the weather, and offers a product or service.
Who can use it?
Weather targeting would be a surefire strategy for seasonal product promotion and products that “application” can vary for different weather. Clothing brands — is a perfect illustration for this case. If it is warm and sunny outside, the user will see a banner with a summer dress, in case the weather is windy and rainy — with a coat or warm hoodie.
Zolla managed to leverage this strategy fully. We showed their ads in 188 cities and used the Interstitial Video format with dynamic temperature display. We also defined some weather types and created separate groups of creatives for better ad optimization: cold, warm, sunny, cloudy, and hot.
The ads were relevant and personalized, according to the location and weather. Thus, we managed to adapt simultaneously to 188 different cities.
Find an entire case by the link.
We also effectively applied weather targeting in an advertising campaign for Michelin. Here we served ads, inviting to change tires when the temperature was 0°C or below or snowing.
The foodservice industry can also benefit from weather-based campaigns. For example, when it’s stifling hot, users see an advertisement for a refreshing lemonade, and when it’s freezing cold — an invitation to warm up with hot chocolate. Combine it with hyperlocal targeting (showing ads to users located within a radius of 200 m to 1.5 km from a given place) to better communicate with your target audience.
Reach your potential customers and users either within a radius of 250 m to 1.5 km or at specific places from Hybrid Places list.
Weather targeting offers the following advantages:
- Budget optimization. You can use triggers as a “switch” that turns on / off the campaign and shows ads only when the condition is true.
- Brand image creation. The main goal is to build user-friendly communication while informing people and making your ad message personalized.
- Realtime customization. You can run ad campaigns in different geo. Weather targeting will allow you to show personalized messages, depending on the weather in the location, making it more evocative.
If you have any questions regarding Wether Targeting, feel free to contact us!